There are still 150 postal votes to be counted, but at this stage it looks like the people of Murweh Shire could have a new Mayor in Annie Liston for the next four years.
The position cannot be declared by the Election Commission Queensland until all votes are in, and this could take up to 10 days.
At the end of counting today, the results for the Mayoral candidates are as follows:
- Annie Liston: 996 ballots and 41.38% of votes
- Denis Cook: 823 ballots and 34.19% of votes
- John Jones: 588 ballots and 24.43% of votes
A total of 2,451 votes have been counted, which is 84.86%.
The final result will also have to account for the optional preferential voting system.
At the end of the day, it is still a close race between Incumbent Mayor Denis Cook and challenger Annie Liston.
The four councillor positions is also another close race, with the fourth position so far between two candidates.
At this point in time the main contenders are:
- Peter ‘Red’ Alexander sits at 1,179 ballots with 12.32% of the votes
- Robert Eckel comes in a close second with 1,161 ballots with 12.13% of votes
- Shaun ‘Zoro’ Radnedge is up there with 1,132 ballots with 11.83% of votes
- Lyn Capewell has 946 ballots with 9.88% of votes
- Jake Sullivan is closely following with 897 ballots with 9.37% of votes
The 150 postal votes will determine the four councillor positions, but at this stage it’s looking like Peter ‘Red’ Alexander, Robert Eckel and Shaun ‘Zoro’ Radnedge are in with a clear shot – but, again, no results can be officially declared.
Charleville Plus More would also like to extend a big thank you to Returning Officer Des Niesler who has worked tirelessly and as a volunteer, to count votes.
Des was accompanied by Chris Buchanan, Ann-Maree Johnson and John Nicholson.
The team were counting until 10pm Saturday night and have spent the majority of their Sunday counting and recounting votes.
It’s the behind the scenes work that we don’t see that will give us a new council for the next four years, so thank you.
We’ll be bringing you an update on the latest results as they come in.