Brisbane Event Commander, Acting Superintendent Mick O’Dowd said revellers heading to the entertainment precincts throughout Queensland could use a number of strategies to protect themselves.
“Common sense and being alert to your surroundings are two key components of remaining safe. If you get into a potentially aggressive situation, walk away,” Acting Superintendent O’Dowd said.
“There will be additional officers on duty in entertainment precincts around the state, including specialist officers from the dog squad, the mounted police, and the water police.
“We will also be reminding people to leave their car at home and use public transport or taxis wherever possible. Parking will be difficult and drink driving could cost more than your license.
“Police will be out in force to enhance safety and prevent anti-social behaviour. We want everyone to have a happy – and a safe — New Year’s Eve.”
QPS New Year’s Eve safety tips:
• Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. If you feel threatened or find yourself in an uncomfortable situation, leave immediately and go to a place where you feel safe
• Trust your instincts and recognise warning signs
• Develop a network of people who will assist you in an emergency and let them know where you are going and when you are likely to return
• Look after your friends
• Consider the necessity of the items you are carrying in your handbag or wallet, and try to keep valuables to a minimum
Police offer the following safety tips to those who plan to drink on New Year’s Eve:
• Plan ahead as to how many drinks you will have and stick to the plan by monitoring your drinking
• Designate a driver to ensure you and your friends get home safely
• Eat before and during drinking
• Alternate alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks at a sensible pace
• Avoid mixing drinks and finish each drink before you have another
• Do not leave drinks unattended
• If someone offers to buy you a drink, go up to the bar with that person and accept the drink there.
Further information and personal safety tips can be located on the Queensland Police Service
website at www.police.qld.gov.au